Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Difference is in the Savings

I'm partial to cooking with dried beans instead of canned for only one reason--they're cheaper.  Not that canned beans are expensive; I just can't stand the thought of spending more money than I have to on something I can so easily prepare myself. I do, however, keep a few cans in my pantry for those times I don't plan ahead.

The other day I did some price comparisons while I was at County Market.  I purchased a 15 oz. can of Bush's black beans and a  2 pound bag of dried black beans.  The can cost 99 cents and the dry beans were priced at $3.39.  I roughly estimate that the bag equals about 6 cans for a savings of $2.67.  There was even greater saving with dry pinto beans when compared with the canned.  Some would say that convenience is worth the extra cost but, if you are making beans a regular part of your diet, the savings will add up over time.  Now...what to make with the black beans?

Here are a few price comparisons:
2 lbs. dry pinto beans...............$2.39 for a national brand
                                                $2.05 for the store brand
15 oz. can pinto beans..............$ .89 for a national brand
                                                $ .79 for the store brand (on sale)

No comments:

Post a Comment