Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Had you watched me in the kitchen yesterday you would probably have thought that I have no business teaching math to my homeschooled ten-year-old daughter.  Trying to come up with one half of three fourths cup of white bean puree that was measured out in half cup mounds took me back to my fifth grade math class.  It all returned--Mr. Whatshisname standing in front of the class teaching us about fractions...  and me staring at the blackboard in utter confusion. I'm embarassed to describe how I arrive at the right amount, so just trust that I got it close enough.  Now that I'm sitting down and not rushing to get the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies mixed up I can clearly see that one half of three fourths is three eighths. I think.

I was a little skeptical about replacing half the butter in the recipe with pureed white beans; I thought it would alter the texture or taste.  I'm happy to report that the cookies look and taste just same as the original recipe.  Even my official taste testers, Jeff and the kids, said they taste great.

Note:  Next time I make white bean puree I'll be sure to measure it out in one fourths.

I planned to put a photo of the cookies right here, but I can't seem to get it downloaded from my camera.  Maybe later...  Here is the recipe:

Oatmeal Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter (or 3/8 cup butter and 3/8 cup white bean puree)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup water
3 cups quick oats, uncooked
1/2 to 1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 to 1 cup dried cranberries

In a small bowl, sift flour, soda and salt together. 
In a larger bowl, cream butter (and white bean puree) and sugars toroughly.  Add egg and vanilla; mix well.  Stir in 1/4 cup water, oats and flour mixture.  Add nuts, chocolate chips and dried cranberries.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets.  Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned .

1 comment:

  1. Those sound really good.
    When you creamed the butter, beans and sugar, did it cream like it usually does?
    Have you ever used wheat flour for these or 1/2 white, 1/2 wheat? Curious!

    ReplyDelete